Re: Help with libtool 2.2.4 on kubuntu 8.10 [newbie]

From: Dan Nicholson
Subject: Re: Help with libtool 2.2.4 on kubuntu 8.10 [newbie]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:56:21 -0800

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Dan Nicholson <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello Dan,
>>
>> * Dan Nicholson wrote on Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:46:59PM CET:

>>> This is a bit off-topic, but what is the exact reason why autoreconf
>>> does not run libtoolize?
>>
>> But it does!  Which autoreconf version are you using?
>> Maybe it fails to detect that you're using Libtool?
>
> I mean the `autoreconf' vs. `autoreconf -i' issue. Specifically,
> `autoreconf' will run aclocal, potentially updating the libtool
> macros, but then it will skip running libtoolize and you have the old
> ltmain.sh. Looking at autoconf git, this is still the case. Do you
> know why it does this?

I found this email from July:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2008-07/msg00030.html

What I still don't understand is why autoreconf doesn't run libtoolize
unless --install is used? Is this because libtoolize always replaces
files? If so, what is the purpose of libtoolize's --copy and --force
parameters?

Thanks.

--
Dan