Re: Windows compilers

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Windows compilers
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 20:11:51 +0200

Hello Christopher,

* Christopher Hulbert wrote on Wed, May 13, 2009 at 01:14:47PM CEST:
> 1. What's the future of that branch? Is it ever likely to merge into
> master to become part of a libtool release and have a larger support
> base?

Bob addressed this already.

> 2. Based on (1), should I use/modify that branch or make modifications
> to my own copy of master. I already have a branch modified from master
> that works well with PGI on Windows.

Well, you can show what you have.  If it overlaps a lot with the branch,
it would likely be good to base it on that.

> 3. Checking for non-libtool libraries using autoconf (e.g. Intel MKL)
> requires knowing whether the compiler uses the MSVC or -L/-l format
> when linking (at least for the few platforms I am working with). Is it
> possible to develop an LT_TRY_LINK m4 macro that can handle that?
> Unfortunately I think the libtool program is not created until the end
> of the configure script. Would a macro like LT_TRY_LINK even be
> desired by other libtool users? Perhaps it already exists?

You can use LT_OUTPUT which will create the libtool script right then.

> 4. Not being a shell-scripting black-belt and not having a lot of time
> to spend analyzing the libtool source, the 8000+ line ltmain.m4sh
> program is extremely difficult to navigate. I have managed relatively
> small hacks to it, but some sort of flowchart might be really nice for
> people like myself. Yes, I realize that it takes people time and
> effort to develop, so don't think I'm just nagging for it. I would be
> happy to help with it, but again I don't understand enough of libtool
> to make it happen.

Please describe the things you want to have work or the issues you see
(both as high level as you can possibly do, as well as as specific as
you can do, with a command sequence showing failures).

Thanks,
Ralf