Re: libtool versioning and ABI

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool versioning and ABI
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 17:40:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Joseph Garvin wrote:

... But that still doesn't make sense. If I only add (don't remove functions
or change existing signatures) to my interfaces, I still bump the current
number according to that rule. But adding to an interface doesn't
necessarily break ABI. So if current-bumps indicate ABI changes, I'm telling
people ABI has broken when it actually hasn't. I don't understand.

If you only add new interfaces while preserving existing interfaces then you should increment 'current' as well as 'age'. This indicates that you support version 'current' as well older ones spanning. 'current-age'.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn