release procedure

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: release procedure
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:16:15 -0600

Hi,

For some reason our release procedure calls for running make distcheck 5 times. This is a tad onerous (one make distcheck takes almost an hour on my system).

HACKING asks for:
* Run `make distcheck'
  and `make distcheck DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS=--disable-ltdl-install'
  and `make distcheck DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS=--program-prefix=g'
  and `make distcheck CC=g++'

then later:
* Run `make -fMakefile.maint git-dist' (which also runs make distcheck).

Seriously, wtf?

I suggest that just the first two would be adequate.

We also fetch latest config* and some automake files from git/cvs. These files are all included in automake releases, what's wrong with just using the automake versions. Ralf releases automake fairly regularly ...

If we must continue to fetch (I did not do so for todays release because when I tried I got test failures in make check/distcheck etc.), then we need to change the Makefile to use git for the config project.

Why on earth do we have a commit script that just provides an opaque interface to git?

Let's just use gnuupload from gnulib to upload the tarballs. Maintaining our own system is silly.

I think that's about all, I will provide patches for HACKING and Makefile.maint later.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman
http://pogma.com