Re: GNU Libtool 2.2.7b released (2.2.8 release candidate).

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 2.2.7b released (2.2.8 release candidate).
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 02:01:52 +0700

Hi Adam,

On 22 May 2010, at 00:23, Adam Mercer wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 19:22, Gary V. Vaughan <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The Libtool Team is pleased to announce release candidate 2.2.7b of GNU
>> Libtool.  If there are no serious deficiencies reported in this release,
>> it will be renumbered as 2.2.8 and re-released (otherwise, we'll fix
>> any problems and put out 2.2.7d first).
>
> Just updated one of my projects to use libtool-2.2.7b and configure
> now fails with:
>
> configure: error: conditional "am__fastdepCXX" was never defined.
> Usually this means the macro was only invoked conditionally.

Did you upgrade only libtool?  I'd be surprised if that was the actual
cause of this error.  AFAICT, it's a longstanding issue with Automake.
Automake appends an AM_CONDITIONAL to AC_PROG_CXX, and is then unhappy
when it's expanded inside the shell test, but never actually executed.

You might be able to work around it by adding "no-dependencies" to
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, although of course, in that case you'll lose automated
dependency tracking.

> in configure.ac I was checking for a C++ compiler if a given option
> was used, i.e.:
>
> # boinc requires a c++ compiler
> if test "${boinc}" = "true" ; then
>  AC_PROG_CXX
> fi

In the end AC_PROG_CXX is not very time consuming, so I'd recommend
something more along the lines of (untested - from memory):

AC_PROG_CXX
AM_CONDITIONAL([BUILD_BOINC], [test "x${boinc}" = xtrue])

and then in Makefile.am

if BUILD_BOINC
....add boinc decls here...
end