Re: Shared library versioning

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: Shared library versioning
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:03:51 -0400

On Friday, June 10, 2011 14:47:49 Lasse Collin wrote:
> I recently made a bug report that Libtool does shared library
> versioning wrong on *BSDs:
>
>     http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8765
>
> After that bug report I have got a feeling that Libtool may have
> comparable bugs on a few other operating systems too. I'm not sure
> that I'm reading the code correctly though. I haven't been able to
> verify these by testing because I don't have access to these
> operating systems:

iirc, what you're expecting is Linux style on systems which dont use Linux
style.  so libtool is working correctly as the maintainers of those respective
OS's intended.  while you might disagree with their decisions, it doesnt make
the libtool behavior wrong.

what we do on Gentoo/*BSD ports is use this patch:
http://sources.gentoo.org/sys-devel/libtool/files/1.5.20/libtool-1.5.20-use-
linux-version-in-fbsd.patch

and then set our CHOST to something like "i686-gentoo-freebsd...", and for the
"gentoo" vendor, we get Linux style versioning.
-mike