Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2457 in lilypond: Shouldn't simultaneous sylla

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2457 in lilypond: Shouldn't simultaneous syllables be aligned across voices?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:08:30 +0000

Updates:

Comment #1 on issue 2457 by address@hidden: Shouldn't simultaneous syllables be aligned across voices?

Gould again, page 439: "Some editions place all syllables consistently to the left of the note, but, in general, this is not helpful."

She (and I) say that it might look better, but I don't believe it would be in any way helpful to a singer. Left aligned == melisma to me, and if it's not, I'm gonna get confused. When I'm checking what other voices are singing, I look for their notes, not their words - in early songs, the words go on for so long you can't check for them!

I could accept cheating the word to the right a bit, but not left aligned.