Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2505 in lilypond: Patch: Doc: NR clarified \fo

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2505 in lilypond: Patch: Doc: NR clarified \footnote command as a TextScript
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 12:24:19 +0000

Comment #12 on issue 2505 by address@hidden: Patch: Doc: NR clarified \footnote command as a TextScript

The changed code will not break "make doc": convert-ly takes care of that. It will, however, look decidedly stupid if the text says something like "footnotes come after the notes to which they are attached" and the code looks like

<>\footnote "text"

instead of

c\footnote "text"

The output will be the same, but autocorrecting the input to move the footnote across whatever simple event may follow is too complex to do for convert-ly. Attaching it to <> means that the autoconversion can leave it in place. But for something that people will actually _look_ at, we should manually correct the source. This is not supposed to smuggle in <> through the backdoor: it is actually the only thing that will work here for an automatic conversion (which made me come up with the idea in the first place). But that does not mean that the conversion result is fit for human consumption.