Re: what windows installer do you use?

From: Tom Cato Amundsen
Subject: Re: what windows installer do you use?
Date: 13 Nov 2001 01:26:22 +0100

On Mon, 2001-11-12 at 14:02, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Tom Cato Amundsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I have found someone willing to improve the windows port of solfege,
> > and
>
> Is this based on cygwin?

The first step is to compile port the soundcard module to gcc. We are
now using mingw32 verison of gcc. This is nice because then I can
crosscompile the module on debian using the mingw32 package.

Are you familiar with the difference between mingw32 and cygwin gcc? I
know the complete cygwin environoment provide all the usual unix tools.

My vague knowledge about the two gcc version say that mingw32 is for
compiling 'pure' win32 apps, while cygwin is trying to create a unix
like environment for the programs using cywin.dll.

Can I compile python modules that will not require cygwin.dll using the
cygwin compiler?

> > wonder what program you use to create the windows installer for
> > lilypond. URL?
>
> We use a modified version of the generic cygwin installer.  It mainly
> downloads a list of available tarbals, offers selection, downloads and
> untars (so, it's completely useless, rather annoying even, if you know
> wget and tar, but it seems to have gotten us extra users...).  It's

Ok. I was more hoping to create an executable that contains solfege and
compiled binaries for gtk and pygtk, displaying a message at the end
giving the user the url for python 2.1 to install, and create a entry on
the start menu and on the desktop. Anyway, a .zip file containing
everything, and saying click on setup.bat to this myself in python is
not bad either.