Re: Accidentals patch

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: Accidentals patch
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 06:03:29 +0100

I borrowed Stone's book from the library - probably sending another
accidentals patch soon.

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
> > I've restructured the accidentals engraver, and added property
> > autoReminders, automatically creating reminder accidentals.
> > Please comment on the new structure of the engraver.
> > Still needs lots of clean up - as I do not entirely understand the idea
> > of the tie-break handling. - Afaics it handles tie breaks the same way
> > as before. -
>
> > But I do not really see the idea - i.e. in the example
> > added to test/ I do not understand why the 2nd note of measure 6 should
> > get a sharp...
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, it says
>
>        dis ~  | \break dis dis
>
> the effect of an accidental alteration is not carried into the next
> measure by a tied note. You have to restate the accidental on the 2nd
> note in the measure without the break.  I agree that it looks a little
> silly when the first note also has an accidental (due to the line
> break), but technically it is correct, since the 2nd one is needed to
> determine the pitch of the note.

This is not true accourding to stone's book.
On p. 55 (II pitch -> Accidentals -> E. Tied accidentals) this exact
situation is handled - and according to Stone the accidental on the tied
note (first note on the line) is enough - and the accidental doesn't
need to be repeated on the 2nd note.

Comments?

-Rune