Re: Shape notes

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Shape notes
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:53:09 +0100

address@hidden writes:
>   That gives me a structure representing the sharps and flats in the key
> signature, right?  But that means I have to count them up and reconstruct
> the pitch object the keySignature came from in the first place.  The shapes
> come from the interval from the key tone.  The parser does
> Music->transpose(*unsmob_pitch($2)) and then it is gone.  I just need to
> save off the return value from the unsmob_pitch and use it later.

Don't do that: Lily also supports many non standard scales, which will
give strange results. Counting flats/sharps is easier. Then you take a
Pitch object for the C, transpose that up a fifth N times (or down a
fifth for flats), will give you the name of the major scale.

>   Okay ... wait.  I see keySignature gives me a value called "c0-position."
> I'm note sure I completely understand that.  By c0, do you mean the
> keytone?  Or distance of the keytone from c?  Perhaps I can use that.

no, CentralCPosition comes from the Clef_engraver and refers to
vertical offsets wrt. clef.