address@hidden: Re: Piano pedalling patch]

From: Chris Jackson
Subject: address@hidden: Re: Piano pedalling patch]
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:48:52 +0000

<oops - resending to the list..>
On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 12:01:31AM +0100, Rune Zedeler wrote:

> Some comments, though:
> - when doing a up-down-tick, the two diagonal lines line up to each
> other instead of overlapping. The result is
>
>       X  X
>      XXXXXX
>     XXX  XXX
>    XXX    XXX
> XXXXX      XXXXX
> XXXX        XXXX

That's odd. I seem to remember finding this problem once and fixing it.
Do they look like that on all inputs? They overlap on all the inputs
I've tested it on.

> - how do you do a  Ped____|Ped__|  without destroying the spacing? I
> would prefer to define a sustainUpDown for the wedgde and let \sutainUp
> \sustainDown do the above instead.

Hmm. That would need to be added as a new style option, I suppose.

> - and generally how do you state that pedal mark should last to the end
> of note (not to start of next note)?

I decided to make them end at the start of notes, to be consistent with
the existing code for Ped. *. I also had trouble coding the length of
the line so that it lasted to the end of the note and no further.
Now I think of it, they do mean musically different things - i.e.

for
b  c  d
_____|

you would have a smooth phrase, but without the c and d blending.

but for

b  c  d
_______|

the sound of the b and c would blend with the d .

That'll have to be a todo for the 'shorten' code in
setup_sustain_pedal().

--
chris