Re: New font installation idea

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: New font installation idea
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:22:12 +0100

> > +Creating nice-looking PDF files
> > +
> > +If you have generated and installed the so-called Type1 versions
> > +of the fonts, and have Ghostscript version 6.0 or later, you can
> > +make PDF versions of your scores that look nice both on screen
> > +and on paper. You just have to tell dvips to use the Type1
> > +version of the fonts:
> > +
> > +dvips -ulilypond.map -Ppdf myscore.dvi
> > +ps2pdf myscore.ps
>
> Maybe we should put pdf's on the website too, if it's that easy now?

Abolutely! I'd recommend to replace the current .ps.gz files
with PDF. I'm not sure about the best way to access the fonts
when building the web doc, though. I see three options:
- Let the make rules assume that the fonts already have been
 installed and are directly available.
- Let the make rules do a temporary font installation somewhere.
- Keep the old crowd of environment variable settings within the
  make files.

I should add some lines on PDF file generation also in the
ordinary user documentation.

  /Mats