From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: 1.5.43.rz1
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 01:06:37 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> @5: better way of setting properties
> The problem is that we have lots of definitions like
> [..]
> Very nice. But it leaves us with two problems:
> b) what if one wants to make modern cationaries the default in a new
> context?

> It would be so very nice if we could unify the syntax/semantics so that
> the 3 situations could be handled with the same piece of code (i.e. the
> same macro).
> The other and ugly solution, which I prefer not to do, is to combine
> autoAccidentals and autoCautionaries into ONE property (i.e. a pair), so
> that one instead could do
> modernCautionaries = #'( (Staff (same-octave . 0)) .
>                        (Staff (any-octave . 0) (any-octave . 1))  )
> \property Staff.autoAccidentals = \modernCautionaries
> But I don't consider this a nice solution.

I don't see an easy solution. The problem is that

  \property Foo.Bar = baz

is really a music expression, while

  \translator  {
    Bar = baz

is an entirely different beast. Perhaps we can try to live with the
way these properties are done for now (i.e. very verbosely), and see
if it becomes a real problem in the long run?

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden    |