Re: Configurable spacing

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Configurable spacing
Date: 14 Jun 2002 12:29:19 -0400

>>>>> "Han-Wen" == Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:

    Han-Wen> If you want tighter spacing, try fiddling with
    Han-Wen> spacing-increment and shortest-duration-space in
    Han-Wen> SpacingSpanner grob (i.e.

    Han-Wen>   \translator {
    Han-Wen>    \ScoreContext
    Han-Wen>    SpacingSpanner \override #'spacing-increment = ...
    Han-Wen>    }

Thanks, setting this to .8 seems to get my stuff back on one page.
And I think it still looks better than the 1.4 page.

There is another aspect to this; in 1.4, lilypond book was putting
8 lines on the page, and 1.5 is only putting 7.

    Han-Wen> One thing that both the new and old algorithm didn't take
    Han-Wen> into account, is that your scores use notes shorter than
    Han-Wen> 1/8 almost exclusively,

??? 16th century printers avoided notes shorter than 1/8, so I use
many fewer short notes than more modern music does.

    Han-Wen> if you use

    Han-Wen>    \translator{
    Han-Wen>    \ScoreContext
    Han-Wen>    SpacingSpanner \override #'base-shortest-duration =
#(make-moment 1 4)
    Han-Wen>    }
    Han-Wen>    }

Yes, that works, too.  Probably better than guessing a number  for
spacing-increment.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139