new font scheme

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: new font scheme
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 15:24:24 -0100

I still don't get the outlines of the new font scheme
Documentation/misc/fontinstallation is outdated so no help there - and I could not find up2date information anywhere else (I might be a bad searcher, though).

Currently I simply override the new scheme by adding a softlink from share/1.x.x/fonts to share/fonts - but surely this is no permanent solution. Further more it sucks because you manually have to change the softlink whenever you install a new version.

My current setup works like this:
Because I don't want to change to root everytime I install lilypond I install it in my home dir.
I install with prefix= ~/lilypond/lilypond-current
But ~/lilypond/lilypond-current is just a symlink to the current version of lilypond. I.e. when I install the newest development version, ~/lilypond/lilypond-current points to ~/lilypond/lilypond-devel...
The small function:

function lilyversion () { rm ~rz/lilypond/lilypond-current; ln -s lilypond-$@ ~rz/lilypond/lilypond-current; }

which I define in /etc/profile.d/ takes care of changing the symlink so that I can just issue

lilyversion stable

to run the stable release, etc...
I really like this scheme. To install a new test-version, I simply issue

lilyversion newtest

and performs the install.
If it didn't work and I need to revert to the official release (for user perposes) I just issue lilyversion stable - and I can use lilypond as before.

Of course this system will not work with the new font setup - because the different versions have different version numbers and hence different paths beneath the install dir.
What do you other guys do, and where is the new fontsystem documented?

how do you read the current version number from within bash (so that you could automatically make the softlink)?

-Rune