Re: Newbie Alert--build problem CVS

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Newbie Alert--build problem CVS
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:45:34 +0200

Zach Brewster-Geisz <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello.  Long time listener, first time caller.

Loud and clear, over.

> I get the following error when building from the latest (well, this
> morning's) CVS:

> In file included from note-collision.cc:11:
> ../flower/include/drul-array.hh: In instantiation of
> `Drul_array<Link_array<Grob>>':
> include/note-collision.hh:31:  instantiated from here
> ../flower/include/drul-array.hh:22: invalid use of undefined type
> `struct Link_array<Grob>'
> ../flower/include/flower-proto.hh:14: forward declaration of `struct
> Link_array<Grob>'

That's not so nice.  It looks like your compiler

> I'm using gcc v. 2.95, building on Apple Darwin 1.4.1.

doesn't accept the declaration in flower-proto.hh

    template<class T> struct Link_array;

when it sees Drul_array<Link_array<Grob>>.

You could try adding

    #include "parray.hh"  /* gcc 2.95 on Darwin needs full declaration */

as the first include in note-column.cc, and see what happens.  If that
doesn't help, you may even have to comment-out the template
declarations in flower-proto.hh.  Then you'll may well experience more
of these 'undefined type' errors.

Please send a patch if you get it working, maybe addding small
comments as above.

> Any assistance is appreciated, though I somehow think I'll probably
> wind up waiting for the next Fink release.  :)

What makes you fink that?

> Don't bother reading this.  It's not funny.

Oops, sorry.

Jan.