Re: tab

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: tab
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:31:11 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 14:14:29 Lamy Jean-Baptiste wrote:
> > David and Rune, what do you think of the Han-Wen's proposition (Identifying
> > strings by their note name) ?
> >
> > If you are right, i'll work on it in about 2 weeks (after my exams).
> >
> > Jiba
>
> Beginners should have the numbers for string
> indications in rings in the notation and advanced
> players the names.  Nothing needs to be done about that.
> I think it is better to use numbers for
> the strings in the tab syntax, because everyone knows or
> should know which one the 1st string is,

I think we had a big discussion about this some weeks ago, which
indicated that --your strong opinions notwithstanding-- there are
different conventions for numbering strings. String pitches are more
explicit, and can be combined with fingerings (which is not possible
with the current setup); we only have to add small kludges to support
stringed instruments with duplicate pitches in their strings.

For the lazy, we could even provide a function to translate fingerings
to string pitches automatically, in any order they like.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen