Fwd: The sorry subject -- Chord Names again

From: Amelie Zapf
Subject: Fwd: The sorry subject -- Chord Names again
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 01:15:48 +0100

Hi folks,

sorry about pestering you with that ugly subject again, but I've recently
upgraded from 1.4.3 to 1.6.6 and found that the jazz chords seem to be
entirely broken in this release. For example, c:m.7.9 irrationally comes out
as "C7" instead of "Cm9" as would be accurate.

Is it possible, maybe, maybe, maybe, that we work out a consensus here how
certain jazz chords are named, so we can get some decent chord names here. At
the moment, I'm really using lyrics to get it straight. I can't transpose for
my horn players, but have to edit the whole thing.

Slightly over a year ago, IIRC, I proposed an algorithm for the 1.3 series
that was a bit kludgy (due to my lack of Scheme experience) but that worked
AND was user-tweakable enough. Sadly, noone was interested enough to put it
into the release version, because, as time moved on during my development,
somebody else had tweaked on it and the whole thing became obsolete, because
it didn't work together with the other change made.

And who had the idea of "fixing" slashed chords so the slash and the bass
note appear _raised_? It is a _bass_ note, which is _below_ the chord. It
should appear on _the_precisely_same_level_ as the chord, or _below_.
Everything else is misleading for the eye. Please, please, please...

Dear Classical musicians: For us jazzers, chords are vital, as are ornaments
for you. Please don't dismiss chords as a side issue.

I haven't looked into the new chord-name.scm so far, but I will tonight.

Kind regards,

Amy

P.S. I'm not trying to be a troll or to start a flame war here. I'm just a
musician trying to get her work done. If it's possible, I would like to get
involved in working it out. I just don't want the same thing to happen as
last time, that a work of several days that was actually functional gets
pushed aside in favor of something elegant that didn't work, like it
happened. Lilypond is a great tool for everything else, but jazz chords just
don't work.

--
Louey & Amy - Soul, Jazz & Gospel from Berlin

Wir sind umgezogen!
www.louey-amy.de ist jetzt www.loueymoss.com