Relative mode

From: Olivier Guéry
Subject: Relative mode
Date: 29 Jan 2003 12:05:57 +0100

                Hello,
        I'm still learning a blind friend how to use lily. He realy enjoy it,
it's the first time he can write score and send it to non-blind people
with something else than ascii code. He start writing little score for
one of his student.
        He had problems with the \relative mode, and he explain me that, in the
braille music language they have a \relative mode too, but with a little
diffrence.
        I'd like to tried to explain you how it work, I expect it will be clear
in my bad english. I think that his \relative mode is realy good (in
fact it's a mix between \relative and non-relative mode).

        Let supose we name each octave with a name. For exemple from A to Z (We
don't use mutch upper case letter, is there a reason ?). In fact, in
braille notation there's only the 8 octave of the piano. When he enter
music he do exactly the same as us with the relative mode. But If
there's big step between two notes, or if he want to be precise at one
point, he just say something like "aG4", the note is "writing" at this
exactly place (just like in non-relative mode) and it's the new starting
point for the relative notation. For me it sound realy a good idear, we
can't do it actually because we name the octave in the non relative mode
with the same signs that are use for increase or decrease note in
relative mode.

        What do you think about this idear ?

        Have a good day, thank's for lily,
                        Némo.