Re: /dev/stderr on cygwin

From: Chris Jackson
Subject: Re: /dev/stderr on cygwin
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:23:22 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Nieuwenhuizen" <address@hidden>

> "Chris Jackson" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Just having fun trying to build the current development version 1.7.21
on
> > Cygwin. I've managed to compile it now, after a few tweaks (e.g. install
>
> That must be fun.  Note that the releases that I make for Cygwin are
> cross-compiled on GNU/Linux.  You'll probably need to do quite some
> work to build the pfa fonts, for example.
>
> Why do you need 1.7.x?

Just for fun! I'm getting back into lilypond after a year or so away, and
wanted to see what the state of play was with development, and to try out
some of the new syntax. I'm spending most of my time on Windows these days,
so I'm seeing if I can make do with Cygwin for stuff like this.

> > Now it's running. The problem is that ly2dvi wants to write to
/dev/stderr
> > when running latex, and complains that it does not exist.  It doesn't
exist
> > as a regular file, but rather seems to be a special feature of the bash
> > shell (and possibly other shells), so I'm not sure how the python script
> > might be changed.
>
> That's strange.  What version of cygwin/python are you using?

$ python
Python 2.2.2 (#1, Mar  9 2003, 08:18:26)
[GCC 3.2 20020927 (prerelease)] on cygwin
>>> import os,sys
>>> os.system('uname -a')
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 bumblebee 1.3.22(0.78/3/2) 2003-03-18 09:20 i686 unknown
unknown Cygwin
0
>>> sys.stderr.write('foo')
foo>>> os.system ('echo foo 1>/dev/stderr')
cannot create /dev/stderr: directory nonexistent

It looks like ly2dvi is failing on this bit:

 cmd = latex_cmd + ' \\\\nonstopmode \\\\input %s' % latex_fn
 # Ugh.  (La)TeX writes progress and error messages on stdout
 # Redirect to stderr
 cmd += ' 1>/dev/stderr'
 status = ly.system (cmd, ignore_error = 1)

--
Chris