Re: make error on CVS

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: make error on CVS
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:47:16 +0200 (CEST)

> I think it is broken for us to adapt to broken systems.

Broken system?  You are joking, aren't you?  I'm using a plain SuSE
distribution which had (at the time being released) the latest GNU
stuff.  There are thousands of other users who have the same
environment as I have.  Honestly, only lilypond makes compilation
problems of this kind...

As the maintainer of groff I have to support many, many different
systems, so I know very well how to program in a compatible way.  It
is OK if you need certain components like a recent version of glibc
(but I doubt that this is really necessary), but you should exactly
document which component versions are needed instead of talking about
`broken systems' which is not true.  I can't find a hint in the docs
that a certain glibc version is needed.

> But since I am such a Nice Guy (tm), I fixed it in a ANSI-C
> compatible manner.

Thanks, will test soon.

    Werner