Re: AFM font handling corrected?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: AFM font handling corrected?
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 12:12:12 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> OK, I checked the Adobe Font Metrics File Format Specification
> document (available at http://www.wotsit.org, for example) and
> found the following statement:

> 3.2 Units of Measurement
>
> All measurements in AFM, AMFM, and ACF M fi les are given in terms
> of units equal to 1/1000 of the scale factor (point size) of the font
> being used. To compute actual sizes in a document (in points; with
> 72 points = 1 inch), these amounts should be multiplied by
> ( scale factor of font ) / 1000.
>
> As far as I can understand, this means that the values should be
> multiplied by 10/1000 for cmr10, right? Note that the definition
> of point here is different from what TeX uses 1 inch = 72.27pt,
> but that should only make a minor difference.
>
> cmr10.afm and other AFM files can be found at CTAN in /fonts/cm/afm/.
>
> I tried to quickly browse through the source code of afm2tfm that's
> included in teTeX, but couldn't find the relevant parts.

A proper fix is involved: the design size for every font should be
known (how do you do that, cmr14 is not 14 pt but 14.4) to lily, and
some internal APIs must be reworked to transport all that information.

The complete handling of font-sizes should be redone anyway. I'll wait
with the proper fix till we do that.  In the mean time, Lily will now
only load AFM files first for feta fonts, which should fix the
original problem.