Re: Lilypond 1.8 config. and make

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Lilypond 1.8 config. and make
Date: 09 Aug 2003 10:44:48 +0200

"R. D. Davis" <address@hidden> writes:

[cc, flup: lilypond-devel]

> Tonight I began to install Lilypond 1.8 from sources, but had to hack
> the configure file a bit.

Why, what errors did you get?  We may want to fix this.

> For some reason, I had to replace the last
> two instances of "$PYTHON" with "python" and had to remove the
> checking for V2.0 or higher of echo.

Something went terribly/funnily wrong; echo was trying to remind you
that you need PYTHON >= 2.0.  We're not using any advanced features
of echo :-)

> After making the aforementioned hacks to configure, and running configure
> as:
>
> ./configure --with-kpathsea-include=/usr/local/include
> --with-kpathsea-lib=/usr/local/lib
>
> Now processing: `/home/rdd/latex/lilypond-1.8.0/ly/generate-documentation.ly'
> Parsing...[/home/rdd/latex/lilypond-1.8.0/share/lilypond/ly/init.ly

<snip>
Looks good.

>   ?: 31* [primitive-load "/usr/local/share/guile/1.6/oop/goops.scm"]
> In /usr/local/share/guile/1.6/oop/goops.scm:
>  105: 32* (use-modules (oop goops util) (oop goops dispatch) (oop goops
> compile))
> <unnamed port>: no code for module (oop goops util)
> make[2]: *** [out/lilypond-internals.nexi] Error 2

> Can you kindly help me to resolve this problem?

It looks as if you may have a problem with your guile installation;
lilypond is running fine.

Could you try running these commands (should display nothing):

    $ guile -c '(use-modules (oop goops))'
    $ guile -c '(use-modules (srfi srfi-13))'
    $ guile -c '(use-modules (srfi srfi-1))'

We had reports that guile-1.6.0 had problems wrt the srfi shared
libraries that were fixed in guile-1.6.4.  I'm sorry that I cannot be
more specific in this.

> Thanks again for all of your work on Lilypond.  I've been using
> V1.6.9, and it's wonderful software!  It's great to be able to write a
> score using Lilypond, get an idea of how it sounds after running the
> MIDI file through TiMIdity and then, using Rosegarden 2.1 (*), convert
> the MIDI file to a Csound score file, which I'll mix in with some of
> the MIDI instruments from the Lilypond MIDI output, such as the drums,
> which work great (I'm using the freeware Gravis Ultrasound format
> patch files)!

> Thanks again. :-)

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

Jan.