Re: Binary install for PFA fonts

From: Aredridel
Subject: Re: Binary install for PFA fonts
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:43:23 -0600

> I was wondering, therefore, whether it wouldn't be possible to make
> prebuilt pfa fonts for each version available for download. I'd
> estimate that a gzipped tar of the type1 fonts would be approximately
> as large as the source archive.

Having just packaged lilypond-2.0 for the PLD distribution (though with
the remaining /bin/sh issue), I can vouch for this:  Tracking down the
dependencies was a pain, and mftrace was among the harder to find. (It's
also not well documented that one needs it, where to find it, et
cetera.)

Reducing these dependencies by making a static archive available would
help make compiling from source much more feasible for the average user
-- and that's a good thing, I think, especially with the binary
incompatibility of most C++ libraries and compilers still. (That meaning
that many users will have to compile it or wait until a compatible
distribution shows up to download)

Also, documenting what fonts are used to build everything would be nice,
too.  I had to track down a ton of font dependencies (since PLD puts
fonts in separate packages from tetex-2.0's base backage).

Ari