Re: Debian (Sid) packages for Lilypond 2.0.1

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: Debian (Sid) packages for Lilypond 2.0.1
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:17:46 +0800

Hello all,

Thanks for looking into this.  I just uploaded lilypond_2.1.0-1 to
Debian's archive.  It is in this moment.
I added the symlink for "type1" and the "dvips -Ppdf -u
myscore.dvi" seems to produce a PS file with the correct font.
Please let me know if there's still any problem.

This symlink thingy is to work around the non-existence of
/etc/profile.d/ on Debian.  IIRC, there had been debates about this,
and the concensus was that that packages should work without relying on
/etc/profile.d.  But yeah, there are pros and cons either way, e.g.
when a maintainer like me is lazy and forget to add a new symlink when
a new font type is needed.  :-)

Oh, about It is at /etc/texmf/dvips/
as a regular file, with /usr/share/lilypond/2.1.0/dvips/
symlinking back to it, and with /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config symlinking
to /etc/texmf/dvips (Debian tetex-base package designed it this way.   :-)

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 01:16:48PM +0200, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> A side-note related to the Debian package:
> I don't have any Debian installation available but looked briefly
> at the contents of the package and the installation scripts when
> answering a question earlier today.
> I'm confused about the installation of the PFA files and
> In contrast to most other LilyPond packages, Anthony Fok has chosen to
> include the TeX input files and font files in the ordinary teTeX texmf
> tree, using soft links
> ./usr/share/texmf/tex/lilypond -> ../../lilypond/2.0.1/tex
> ./usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/public/lilypond ->
> ../../../../lilypond/2.0.1/fonts/source
> ./usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/public/lilypond ->
> ../../../../lilypond/2.0.1/fonts/afm
> ./usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/lilypond ->
> ../../../../lilypond/2.0.1/fonts/tfm
> but as far as I can see, the corresponding links for the Type1 font
> files (PFA files) and for the file are missing.
> Since the dpkg does not include the lilypond-profile/lilypond-login
> files, the /usr/share/lilypond/x.x.x/ directory is not seen by teTeX
> as an additional texmf tree, which should mean that dvips cannot find
> the PFA files or
> The ly2dvi script (now renamed to lilypond) does work anyway, since it
> sets the TEXMF variable internally such that dvips finds the files in
> the /usr/share/lilypond/*/ directory structure, but I cannot see how
> this works if you call 'dvips -Ppdf -u myscore.dvi'
> manually, for example if you have used lilypond-book + latex to produce
> your document.
> There's a short note on the placement on in
> debian/changelog, but I don't see how the current solution can work.
> Maybe this is a non-issue, but could you please verify if
> dvips -Ppdf -u myscore.dvi
> works correctly with the Debian installation.
> Regards
>    Mats

Anthony Fok Tung-Ling
ThizLinux Laboratory   <address@hidden>