Re: Feta font

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Feta font
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 01:15:30 -0800

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 10:53:13 -0800
"Joel A. Erickson" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > That said, I could never have imagined that a contributor to the
> > grand public domain gutenburg project would run proprietary software
> > :-)

Most of the scores appear to have been made with Finale, but the
Gutenberg guys are aware of the problem of proprietary file formats.
They now include copies of the music in MusicXML.
http://www.ibiblio.org/gutenberg/music/music_helpex.html#what-software

(they've got a nice list of string quartets available -- I think I'll
have to start testing LilyPond's xml2ly converter!  :)
http://www.ibiblio.org/gutenberg/music/Titles/title_index.html

> > btw, you do know about www.mutopiaproject.org?
>
> Yes, I found that site when doing research for my project. Are you
> suggesting I should contribute towards that, rather than PG? Mutopia
> does seem to be a well-designed archive, but I have two reasons
> against contributing. 1) I like the idea of having a one-stop archive.
> 2) Mutopia doesn't provide MusicXML files.

I can name three major Free sheet music sites off the top of my head*,
and PG isn't one of them.  (the chorale public domain library, Werner
Icking's (memorial) archive, and mutopia)  It would be nice to have a
one-stop archive, but I don't see that happening in the near future.
Maybe somebody could make a meta-site, that includes the index and
allows you to search for pieces in all the other Free sheet music
sites... but until that happens, we'll need to search multiple sites.

* and many more after a few minutes of googling and browsing.