Re: more on octavation lines

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: more on octavation lines
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:57:33 +0100 (CET)

> > . The final `delimiter' (the small vertical bar) must have a
> >   greater horizontal offset.  I suggest to move it one notehead
> >   width to the right.
>
> Hmm, maybe a half notehead width is better...

And the `8va' string should be slight offset to the left also.

Attached are images and source files which show all the problems.
Please read the comments in the *.ly files.

    Werner
%
% This file shows various problems with octavation in lilypond
% CVS 2004-01-10 08:28 MET.
%
% . There must be a minimum distance between the octavation line and the
%   topmost staff line, taking into account the height of the closing
%   vertical dashed line.
%
% . Octavation lines broken across staves must always start with `8va'
%   (or something similar).
%
% . The `8va' should be slightl offset to the left.
%
% . The final vertical dashed line of the octavation line should be offset
%   to the right.
%

\version "2.1.8"
\include "paper20.ly"

\score {
  \context Voice \notes \relative c'' {
    #(set-octavation 1)
    c1 ~ | \break
    c1 ~ | \break
    c1
  }

  \paper {
    linewidth = 50.0\mm
    indent = 0.0\mm
  }
}

% EOF

PNG image

%
% This file shows various problems with octavation in lilypond
% CVS 2004-01-10 08:28 MET.
%
% . There must be a minimum distance between the octavation line and the
%   topmost note head, (not taking into account the height of the closing
%   vertical dashed line).
%
% . Octavation lines for `8va bassa' must be below the staff, not above.
%
% . The `8va bassa' string is far too long for short octavation lines.
%   LilyPond should select between `8va bassa', `8ba', and `8', depending
%   on the available horizontal space (and the octavation style selected
%   by the user).  The same holds for `8va' and `15ma'.

\version "2.1.8"
\include "paper20.ly"

\score {
  \context Voice \notes \relative c'' {
    #(set-octavation -1) c4 #(set-octavation 0) r4 r2 |
    #(set-octavation -1) c1 ~ | \break
    c1 ~ | \break
    c1
  }