Some points about hyphens (and a possible patch)

From: Bertalan Fodor
Subject: Some points about hyphens (and a possible patch)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:10:08 +0100

Hello,

I played a bit with lyric hyphens.

1. First I found that with latin1-encoded accented characters calculating
the bounding box is not totally exact.
Try ÖÜÖÜÖÜ and \"O\"U\"O\"U as a syllable and compare.

2. In lily/hyphen-spanner.cc the following can be found:
        /*
            If there is not enough space, the hyphen should disappear.
           */
        if (space_left < 0)
            return SCM_EOL;

I don't think that's a good idea, because I don't want to lose hyphens at
the line endings. I would prefer the following:
          if (space_left < 0.2) {
            space_left = 0.2;
          }

This way the hyphen will always be drawn with a little space to the
syllable. I think it would be important to include this or something
similar.

Between syllables deleting hyphens is also a bad idea (I don't know if this
can be happen). In some languages (including Hungarian, German, etc.) there
are some 'compound letters' that must be hyphenated specially, e.g.
ssz->sz-sz.

So the good solution would be to ensure that hyphens will be always set
correctly. So I think, if it is needed, the syllables and/or noteheads
should be moved around to avoid collision with hyphens.

Greetings,

Bert