Re: metronome mark problems

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: Re: metronome mark problems
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:29:57 -0700

On Monday March 29 2004 04:00, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> You can do this with \markup today, see the mailing list
> archives, for example
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-12/msg00013.html

  It isn't so much of wether or not I can, but rather that I have to if I want
to place it right. I usually just use \tempo because it already goes where it
should, is small enough to generally not cause collision problems for me, and
I still have not been able to figure out what property the padding applies to
(I know, it's waiting for me in the e-mail archives).
  In any case, tempo expressions are, in my experiences, very common; I can't
seem to recall the manual explaining the right way to fully typeset these.
Examples of some control are scattered about the manual, but most musicians I
know would be completely clueless about what professionals do.
  The important thing right now is that LilyPond does have a way that I can
make things look right (or however I desire) so thank you again.
  Since you are always so helpful Mats, do you have suggested readings to try
to help me straighten out my sense of the various object types; I seem to mix
them up horribly anymore.  =(
Ed Sutton