Re: midi performance hacking

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: midi performance hacking
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:30:47 +0200

Regarding your previous email on restructuring the MIDI support, I hope
you can also solve the following bug report:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2003-10/msg00069.html

I would like to fix that one as well, and should be pretty easy to
do.  I think I will look at this next.  What I have read
(<URL:http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/> is a good source) seems to
indicate that tempo should be in track zero.

<URL:http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midifile/tempo.htm> reads:

In format 1, the very first MTrk should consist of only the tempo (and
time signature) events so that it could be read by some device capable
of generating a "tempo map". It is best not to place MIDI events in
this MTrk.

I'm not an expert in MIDI, but from Nigel's answer in the email I
refered to, it seems clear that tempo changes should be done in all
tracks, not only in track zero (as is done today).

   /Mats