Re: removed bugs from lily-bugs

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: removed bugs from lily-bugs
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 01:13:23 +0300 (EEST)

> Personally, I do not think that there will be a big public interest in
> the history of lilypond bugs. What I believe could be interesting, is the
> set of open bugs, and the set of very recently closed bugs. I.e. what will be
> in CVS with my latest suggestion.

I disagree. Think you were a fun of grace notes, but you were annoyed by the
early, non-synchronized midi output .. then you stop doing graces, because the
timings of midi channels become erronous. Then at some point you find out that
there have been a big revise with graces, and you would like to know whether the
same bug still exists -- and, hopefully, get also some kind of correct
synchronized midi output withgrace notes. Then you look at the ChangeLog file in
order to find out when did the brilliant people fix the early bug?! And, in the
best case, you find that the bug does not exist anymore in any other place than
the history files.

IMHO, one should remember their errors, in order not to make the same
(programming) error twice. I agree that when everything goes smoothly, nobody
reads the ChangeLog files. But when there are some problems, they may be the
first place to look at.

The ChangeLog file also shows whether the project has been active or not.
Actually, it is quite impressive that some program has been developed for so
many years with only few less-active seasons.

Also, ChangeLog is like a guest book: it collects comments from the developers
-- sometimes even feelings of the programming. If a New Developer comes to work
on some particular part of the program, he might be interested on the history of
his/her part.

This being said, I would say that the set of closed bugs is interesting. It
tells that bugs have been repaired! It does not matter if the size of the
ChangeLog files starts to exceed the size of other files in the collection.

In the end I have a guesting to the bug-meister. How to decide between a feature
request and a bug? In other words, should some feature request be collected into
the bug collections? This is how it is done with bugzilla.

--
  Heikki Junes