Re: guile-gtk

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: guile-gtk
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:33:00 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Andreas Rottmann writes:
>
>> The bindings of GTK+ 2 are maintained, but there are no tarballs as
>> of yet. You can grab it via Arch, however.
>
> I've added very experimental gnome canvas output to LilyPond CVS,
> using TLA guile-gnome.  This is of course, very hacker only.
>
> Do you/we have a vague planning/wish-date for:
>
>   1. hijacking g-wrap and replacing it by g-wrap-tng (when could this
>      replace g-wrap 1.x in Debian/unstable, eg).

I've some talking with Rob Browning about that; I've taken over
maintainership of G-Wrap and will release a 1.9.0 pretty soon
now. I'll then package the new G-Wrap for Debian (which will coexist
with the old g-wrap packages).

>   2. releasing guile-gnome2 0.99 tarballs (or, a Debian package)

I think after we have a G-Wrap 1.9.0 release, we can release tarballs
of Guile-GNOME soonish. I think we should follow suite with the of the
platform bindings and have 2.7.x release numbers. As soon as we have
tarballs out (and g-wrap 1.9 is packaged), I can go ahead and work to
close the now already long-standing ITP on guile-gobject.

> Also,
>
>   3. my first tries with g-wrap--tng and guile-gnome did not work with
>      Guile CVS, are there known issues, is anyone working on this?

As Guile CVS seems to be a bit fucked up ATM, this might be a reason;
It used to work.

> What are the main obstacles for 1,2,3, where can I help best?

I think testing and new code using the bindings would be nice. Other
than that, I can't think of something ATM.

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

Say NO to Software Patents! -- http://petition.eurolinux.org/