elastic space between staves

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: elastic space between staves
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:16:48 +0200 (CEST)

[lilypond 2.2.x]

Consider the following situation.  You have a score with three staves,
and you want two systems per page (using a quite small paper size):

        -------------------

        -------------------

        -------------------

        -------------------

        -------------------

        -------------------

The first page has title, a subtitle, etc., and should look like this:

              F o o
            blablabla

                       xxxx
        -------------------
        -------------------
        -------------------

        -------------------
        -------------------
        -------------------

As you can see, both the space between systems and the space between
staves is squeezed.  In the ASCII drawing above, the squeezing is
exaggerated, but you can see what I mean.  In TeX terms, I would like
to have e.g.

   \def\interstaffspaceskip{5mm minus 0.8mm}

so that the vertical staff space can shrink slightly without getting
bigger.  It seems to me that at least the 2.2.x series can't do that
automatically: Only the space between systems is a rubber space, but
the spacing between staves is fixed (for technical reasons).

How do you handle this in 2.3.x?

    Werner