manual style take 2 (period before example, @cindex)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: manual style take 2 (period before example, @cindex)
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:47:13 -0700

I'd like to finished the sentence (ie add a period) before having a lilypond example. For example:

A chord may be followed by a duration, and a set of
articulations, just like simple notes

@lilypond[verbatim,fragment,quote,relative=1]
<c e g>4 <c>8
@end lilypond

That's correct according to the style guidelines at the beginning of Documentation/user/lilypond.tely, but I think it would look better with a period after "notes". Can I change the manual style to fit that?

Is there any real benefit to having the @cindex tags in the middle of a paragraph? Consider this example:
---
Normally accidentals are printed automatically, but you may also
print them manually.  A reminder accidental
@cindex reminder accidental
@cindex @code{?}
can be forced by adding an exclamation mark @code{!}
after the pitch.  A cautionary accidental
@cindex cautionary accidental
@cindex parenthesized accidental
(i.e. an accidental within parentheses) can be obtained by adding the
question mark address@hidden' after the pitch.
---

What would we lose by changing that to this:
---
@cindex reminder accidental
@cindex @code{?}
@cindex cautionary accidental
@cindex parenthesized accidental
Normally accidentals are printed automatically, but you may also
print them manually.  A reminder accidental
can be forced by adding an exclamation mark @code{!}
after the pitch.  A cautionary accidental
(i.e. an accidental within parentheses) can be obtained by adding the
question mark address@hidden' after the pitch.
---

IMO the second option is much more readable (for anybody dealing with
the documentation source code). Although somebody looking for "cautionary accidental" in the manual would be directed at the top of that paragraph instead of halfway through, I don't think it's a big deal. Could we stick @cindex tags
at the beginning of a paragraph, instead of the middle?