Re: entering music without \time

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: entering music without \time
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:08:20 +0200

Erik Sandberg <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't understand what rule you are using. It produces some strange results,
> e.g. \tuplify \repeat unfold 12 c32*2/3 produces a "9" over it, not a 12 as
> would be expected.
>
> More importantly, I can't convince it to place a 6 over six c8*2/3:s, as in:
>
>   6
> ------
> ******
>
> and {c16*2/3 c c} gets a 6, I expected a 3. Both cases occur in real music;
> 6/4 usually just means that one tuplet number is written above each 6 equally
> long notes.

Ok. I confess that I have not seriously played music anymore for 7 or
8 years, and don't remember these cases.
Back on it.

> Would it be possible to use the auto-beam-setting in the multiple calculation
> process?

I don't think so. Such properties are not accessible at that time.

>> In the meantime, one can do: \tuplify { ... } R1*3/4 \tuplify { ... }
>
> The only problem is that this makes things like
>
> \tuplify <<
> \new Staff {..}
> \new Staff {.. R1*3/4 .. }
> \new Staff {..}
>>>
> impossible.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to just add a custom property somewhere, like
> Voice.dontTuplify, that the tuplifier listens to? so that
> \set Staff.dontTuplify = #t
> would make the tuplifier to ignore the current staff for a while.

I don't know if this is possible (I'll figure out after having tried),
but setting a dont-tuplify property to the music seen in \noTuplify { ... }
might do it. Then, \tuplify could look at that property in order to
check if its music can be tuplified.

stay tuned :-)

nicolas