Re: Does "-f tex --tex" influence char selection?

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Does "-f tex --tex" influence char selection?
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:09:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
> >
> > * Could someone else verify my observations by running lilypond from
> >   the command line directly on lily-833201559.ly (with the
> >   "toplevel-score-handler" line commented out or removed) and compare the
> >   result with the figure in section 5.17.9.1 of the manual and/or with the
> >   attachment below? (Yes, I know, there are a couple of "Infinity or NaN
> >   encountered" warnings, but these warnings should be unrelated.)
>
> Seems ok here, also with -f tex --tex.

That is, the result looks for you pretty much like the attachment that I
sent?  That would be extremely strange, because in the manual on
lilypond.org (as well as in my local repository here) it looks wrong; i.e.
for both, you and me, running from command line seems to work while
building the docu does not.

> > * What are the major differences between the way the docu is built and
> >   running lilypond from the command line without further options?  I can
> >   see that the "-f tex" and "--tex" options are used when building the
> >   docu; maybe this is the source of the error?
>
> No. I would look into environment variables for TeX and Lilypond (see
> make/lilypond-vars.make). You might have old font files lying around
> somewhere.

Of course, I took this into consideration, but I do not think this is the
origin of the error: if it was, then the old font files would be the only
ones that work correctly (which is extremely unlikely, because other
characters recently changed too, and that should get immediately apparent
when using old font files).

By the way, this a very old bug that I first noticed around 1.7.x and has
been all the time there.

On another note, yesterday I noticed that one character of the ancient
font erroneously occurs twice in the font (with duplicate ID); I will fix
this bug in the mf code soon.  But this is a recently introduced bug, I
believe; there must be something else wrong.

Greetings,
Jürgen