Docs for 3.0

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Docs for 3.0
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:31:05 -0700

There's two things I need help with, somewhat urgently before 3.0:

1) In the manual, "Controlling formatting of prefatory matter" (currently 5.3.10): there's an example of doing weird stuff with the clef and key signature, and no explanatory text. If it's just an example of doing weird stuff, I can write some text. Although I'm not certain how much it adds to the manual... would anybody mind if we just delete this section? (perhaps sticking the example into the "tricks n' tips" section?)

2) Piano templates. I propose deleting "piano-4-voices.ly". I'm not sure whether to move "piano-lyrics.ly" (lyrics centered between the staffs) into the manual, or not bother saving that one. Opinions? The real problem is "piano-dynamics.ly" (dynamics centered between the two piano staffs). It sounds like a good template to have, but I don't understand the template myself, and there's a bunch of ugly stuff in there (like extra-offset). Could a piano player have a look at this and simplify it? Or make a completely new template that does the same thing?