Re: Documentation enhancements

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Documentation enhancements
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:08:59 -0700

On 27-Sep-04, at 10:26 AM, Ruud van Silfhout wrote:

1. In te section 'Orchestral music', subsection 'System start delimiters', the second example.It states there that the group is a StaffGroup, but the
example code shows a GrandStaff.

Fixed.

2. To add lyrics to music two methods are supplied; the 'addlyrics' and
'lyricsto'. I could find the difference between those two methods; so it is
not clear to me when to use the one and when the other.

Me neither. :) I'm still hoping that somebody who uses lyrics can help
me with that section, since I don't use them.  So far I'm working on the
bits that I _do_ understand; once I'm done those I'll take another look
at lyrics.

3. Questions I have seen more than once on the lilypond user group
concerning the multimeasure rests. Two styles of MM-rests are supported.
Normally this switches after 10 rests. How can this be switched at some
other some 'user'-definable number of rests.

I'll look up the answer to this and add it to the manual.

4. I once mailed a template for a SATB-choir-staff with piano accompaniment.
Is that something to add to the templates part of the manual?

Sure! I'll make a separate section for vocal stuff (and probably another
section for ancient notation templates), and we can have the SATB and
SATB+piano stuff in there.  Actually, once you send me the SATB+piano
template, I might make an "SATB+automatic piano reduction score"
version (which just sticks the voices on a piano staff). That would be a
nice demonstration of the power of LilyPond compared to GUI programs --
once you've defined your music sections, it's easy to quote them again
and do other stuff with them.

5. The picture in the 'Creating titles' sub-section runs over the text below
it (or at least in the PDF version of the document I have printed)

Definitely a bug.  They might already know about it, but I'll check.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the comments!  Please send more.  :)