Re: question about a <> mark similar to a c-> notation...

From: Arno Waschk
Subject: Re: question about a <> mark similar to a c-> notation...
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:28:05 +0100

Okay, i hope the second attempt includes your suggestions...

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:07:28 +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

address@hidden writes:
> If I understand you correctly, you want to add a new articulation script > (rather than patching the code for dynamic marks). That's quite easy, if
> you are a little bit familiar with metafont.  For that purpose, you
> should
>
> * add the articulation sign to the feta font; see file
> mf/feta-schrift.mf;
> I guess the direction (up/down) does not matter for espressivo marks, > hence a single character "espressivo" should suffice; you may want to > have a look at the sforzatoaccent as an example of a similar character
>   that is already in the font;
>
> * tell lily about your articulation sign by adding it to the file
>   scm/script.scm (twice the same character "espressivo" for both
>   directions, up and down);
>
> * add a handy shortcut to the file ly/script-init.ly
>
> * for testing, add it to input/test/script-chart.ly
>
> * for documentation, add it to the Articulations section (currently
>   section 5.7.8) of the user manual; see
>   Documentation/user/notation.itely.
>
> And, whenever changing feta-schrift, don't forget to clean the font such
> that all font files will be rebuilt; otherwise, you will not see any
> change, or the font will be messed up (as inserting a new character
> changes the numbers in the font tables).

Okay, following the above i would like to propose a first attempt of a
patch.
Feel free to rant about my mistakes, but please be reminded that i am just
a pianist trying his best. Don't shoot!

Hi,

some comments regarding the glyph:

* the bbox is too small horizontally (try viewing out/feta20.dvi)

* narrowing of the lines near the junction point is ok in principle,
  but I think the lines should be thinner still (the junction has more
  weight than the rest of the glyph)

* The glyph is quicker drawn by doing only upper right half, then
  doing

   addto currentpicture also currentpicture (yscaled -1);
   addto currentpicture also currentpicture (xscaled -1);

If you take these comments into account, I'll gladly merge a new
version of your patch.

--
http://www.arnowaschk.de