Re: Example massacre

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Example massacre
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:30:02 +0100

address@hidden writes:

>     Han-Wen> Of course, if you know what you're looking for -like
>     Han-Wen> Mats, I suppose- then the tips & tricks collection is an
>     Han-Wen> easy document. However, I think we need to focus on
>     Han-Wen> novice users which are not sure what they are looking for
>     Han-Wen> exactly. Also, doesn't a broken up document (like the
>     Han-Wen> manual) work better with Google searching?
>
> Well, I find that even when I find something in the manual that sounds
> like what I'm looking for, I still search the examples directory for a
> place where that construct is actually used.
>
> For instance, I'm sure that *why* you use \partial is explained quite
> well in the manual, but in order to figure out *how* to use it, I
> grepped input/test/*.ly for \partial.  Maybe the manual explanation of
> \partial has improved since I did this, but I'm sure there are lots of
> other constructs for which a real life example is still necessary for
> lots of people.
>
> I'm not arguing against improving the manual, just against thinking
> that a good manual removes the need for good examples.

The input/examples/ directory ("Tips & tricks") has historically been
a dumping ground for whatever we were too lazy to document properly.
I don't think we should be heading back in that direction.

If an explanation of "how" to use something is missing, then we should
add that to the manual.  Regarding \partial doco: if you click the
image of the example HTML, you actually get the .ly source code for
fragment shown.