UTF8 and (La)TeX backend?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: UTF8 and (La)TeX backend?
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 17:03:05 +0100

Hi werner,

how do you think we should handle encoding for the TeX backend? I am
tempted to just dump

  \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

but as far as I've understood
(http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-utf8/2004-04/msg00000.html) the UTF8
support for LaTeX has only been available for a year or so, so it
hasn't percolated through to the current TeTeX releases.

With the new tex-metrics mechanism, this might not be necessary, but
we still need to do something with encoding, to

1. dump the appropriate \usepackage headings

2. select a reasonable guesstimate for the initial rendering run used
   by -f texstr