Re: FYI pango/font status

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: FYI pango/font status
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:32:38 +0100 (CET)

> > We need a new command to select the backend -- I propose
> > \TeXformat and \PSformat so that the `-f ps' and `-f tex' switches
> > become obsolete.
>
> And SVG/Gnome/whatever-we-come-up-with-next?  I disagree with this
> idea.

See my other mail too.  We must make a distinction between backends
which produce final output (`-f ps') and backends which produce input
for a `postprocessor' -- `-f tex' or a hypothetical `-f groff'.
Ideally, `-f ps' should be renamed to `-f lilypond' since the real
output format is directly controlled with --ps, --pdf, or --svg.

    Werner