Re: lilypond/Documentation/user examples.itely

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lilypond/Documentation/user examples.itely
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:41:05 +0100

I both agree and disagree! My main objections are:

- I normally use a separate identifier for annotations like
  tempo changes ("Andante", ...) that should only appear on the
  top of the full score but in all the individual parts. Of course,
  such a thing can also be done with \tag commands, but it will
  will soon get very messy.

- Another common thing to add in the separate parts that (often)
  don't appear in the full score is cue notes. Again, it seems
  to me that it just gets more messy to try to make a single
  definition of \score that can be reused both for the full score
  and the separate parts.

- I'm afraid a beginner (at least one who is not used to computer
  programming) will find the \tag related commands much more
  complicated than retyping a few lines for each part.

Of course, if you can make a neat example to prove me wrong, I would
be happy to see it in the manual.

   /Mats

Graham Percival wrote:
This isn't to demonstrate \tag. If I wanted to do that, I'd add it to the Notation
chapter.  Example templates isn't the place to demonstrate such things.

No, the reason is that I have a pathological dislike of having anything
in the individual instrument files that doesn't need to be there.
Sure, I could do:

% Full score:
<<
 \new Staff { << \global \Violinone >> }
 \new Staff { << \global \Violintwo>> }
 \new Staff { << \global \Viola>> }
 \new Staff { << \global \Cello>> }

% First violin part:
 \new Staff { << \global \Violinone >> }

But that's longer than
% full score
  \new StaffGroup \keepWithTag #'score \music
%first violin part
  \keepWithTag #'vn1 \music

Now, is there any reasonable advantage?  I'm not certain
if there are (although I don't think that having this example
in the templates section hurts anybody).

I still like the idea, though.  It provides a standard way of
creating individual instrument files -- or combinations
of instruments.  Once you've created the main file
("piece.ly" in the template), you don't need to fool around
with creating the infrastructure for each individual instrument.
I still make mistakes when I'm doing the whole
\score{ \new StaffGroup << \new Staff {} \newStaff {} >> }
thing.  It's easier for me to get that stuff done once.

Is it useful for LilyPond experts?  No, probably not.  But I
imagine that quite a few non-experts could really
appreciate creating input files this way.

- Graham