A couple of questions and Re:fix for gcc 3.4 and flex 2.5.4

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: A couple of questions and Re:fix for gcc 3.4 and flex 2.5.4
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:35:04 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> To Dirk Jagdmann:
>
> Thank you for that. I spent a while hacking around getting roughly the same
> result but couldn't work out a way to put it all in a nice script!
>
> It also works for gcc 3.2.3 and flex 2.5.4 on lilypond 2.4.4 BTW
>
> To everyone:
>
> Would it be a good idea to detect for these problems in configure and maybe
> run these scripts automatically if certain gcc/flex version combos are
> found?

I don't know. IMHO, these problems are not specific to lilypond, and
should be fixed by the distributor. Also, we have a  packaged script,
called

        lexer-gcc-3.1.sh

which seems to fix the same problem. Perhaps we have to rename the
script. Can you check whether that script does the trick?

> Also, I would like to have two lilypond versions on my system; one the
> latest stable release (2.4) and one the latest development (or CVS) version
> so I can have a fiddle :) Is this possible?

yes. Look into the --prefix option of configure

> Finally, I would like to help the lily community by packaging lily 2.4 for
> slackware. How do I go about this? Do I just tar it up?

I don't know, I guess the Slackware community is the best place to ask.