Compilation of Lilypond 2.2.2 on FreeBSD 5.3

From: Tim Allman
Subject: Compilation of Lilypond 2.2.2 on FreeBSD 5.3
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:00:37 -0500

In the absence of a FreeBSD port maintainer that will actually maintain the
port here is a guide to building the lilypond port on FreeBSD 5.3. The
lilypond version shipped with FreeBSD is version 2.2.2 which is a good,
stable version that I have been using for a while. It doesn't have the latest
features but will be fine for most people.

If you try to make the port right out of the box like this

lisa: su
lisa: cd /usr/ports/print/lilypond
lisa: make

it will stop with a message indicating that the port is broken.

The first change you need to make is to edit Makefile. Open the file (as root)
in your favourite editor. Find the line that starts withe the word BROKEN.
Either delete this line or comment it out by inserting the character '#' at
the start of the line. Save the file.

Much discussion has arisen due to syntax errors in the file FlexLexer.h. The
problem arises neither because of a problem with the tool chain (flex, gcc
3.4.2) nor lilypond. It because the files in the "scripts" subdirectory were
written for a previous version and have not been removed. (Curse that port
maintainer!) Either rename the files or remove them.

root# rm scripts/*

Start the make.

root# make

Assuming all of the dependencies can be satisfied, the make process will
continue until it stops on the file "work/lilypond-2.2.2/lily/out/parser.cc".
If you try to edit the file at this point you will find that it has been
removed. Restart the make

root# make

This time it will stop on the same syntax error without removing the file.
(Why?) Open the file in your editor.

root# emacs work/lilypond-2.2.2/lily/out/parser.cc

Go to the error by searching for the word __attribute__. As before, either
remove this line or comment it out. (This appears arise from a mistake in the
installed version of bison (1.875).)

Restart the make.

root# make

The make process should complete normally. The last step is to install
lilypond.

root# make install

I have created a binary package that is available by anonymous ftp at

ftp://ftp.brasscats.ca/pub/lilypond-2.2.2.tbz

It can be installed using pkg_add. (This is my first attempt at monkeying
around with the FreeBSD ports system so any problem reports with respect to
the package or the fix above will be gladly received.)

A Request:
My ftp server is behind an adsl modem and I' not sure that my system will deal
very well with the traffic this might generate. Could the package be posted
on the lilypond web site?

BTW, if you want to see what sane Canadians do at xmas have a look at

ftp://ftp.brasscats.ca/pub/FTM-2004.pdf

I'm the one on page 4.

Tim