Re: [Lily4jedit-devel] [Fwd: easier LilyPond tutorial?]

From: Joshua KooOOoOOo
Subject: Re: [Lily4jedit-devel] [Fwd: easier LilyPond tutorial?]
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 22:11:02 +0800

Hi,

We do not have a lilytool tutorial yet, do we?  I think a lilytool tutorial
will make a easier LilyPond tutorial (I'm thinking of Wiki) ;)

Its pretty shameful I havnt tried (or remembered) using emacs.
Is this the tutorial?
http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/keith/tcl-course/emacs-tutorial.html
I'll try out using emacs on my coLinux machine when I'm free.

>Our idea is to have a text-file, which looks like
>

>       This is the lilypond tutorial. Here is a simple fragment of LilyPond
>
>          { c'4 d'8 }

Erm... this looks like the lilypond 2.5 syntax. I havnt tried that in LilyTool
yet.

>       To compile this fragment,
>
>       - Use the mouse to hover over the fragment,
>       - Click the right-mouse button
>       - Select "compile music fragment" from the context menu

>the text file would be edited in a special mode that detects indented
>sections of the text, and adds the appropriate context-menu entry. The
What's a context-menu entry?

>"compile music fragment" would run LilyPond, kill any old PDF viewer,
>and start a new viewer.  Of course, users are encouraged to edit the
>indented sections on their own, to experiment a bit. We could even
>insert some excercises.
Hmm, "compile music fragment" could be a new feature.
Well, user have to Right click and select Customise right click menu and add a
macro/action before using the rightclick feature in jEdit first, i think.
Either way, this can be achieve using the lilytool menu.
I suppose, when this action is called, text in braces are copied, either to a
temp.ly or autogen.ly, followed by a call to lilypond-win or, another macro
which calls "lilypond", then "pdf &" in lilytool (will "kill" work for acrobat
in cygwin)?

>In this way, editing & compiling .ly code is tightly integrated with
>the tutorial, and a newbie isn't overwhelmed by all the new bits at
>the same time.
Hmm... do you mean you want the tutorial displayed in jEdit? compiling ly in
jEdit wouldnt be a problem, but I'll think how you want to format your tutorial
to look like in jEdit.

>Of course, the same trick might be applicable to Gedit or Emacs, and
>the technical implementation might be optimized. Perhaps it's easier
>to mark .ly sections with a special marker which is hidden during
>display.
>
>How does this idea sound? Any one willing to take on this task?
Hmm, this idea sounds more like a presentation. I would think video or flash
might serve the same perpose.
Or maybe I really havnt catch the gish of the idea. But i think programming the
 "compile music fragment" wouldnt be hard for me.

Joshua