Re: lilypond book issues version 2.5.19

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: lilypond book issues version 2.5.19
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:15:50 +0200 (CEST)

> The 2.5.19 version of lilypond-book generates code like:
>
> {%
> \parindent 0pt
> address@hidden
> \ifx\preLilyPondExample \undefined
>   \relax
> \else
>   \preLilyPondExample
> \fi
> \def\lilypondbook{}%
> \input lily-1105931465-systems.tex
> \ifx\postLilyPondExample \undefined
>   \relax
> \else
>   \postLilyPondExample
> \fi
> }
>
> First what is the code: address@hidden for?

It `normalizes' the `@' character, so it no longer is of type
`letter'.  I also wonder why it's here.  Additionally, it should be

  address@hidden

to make TeX stop parsing after the `2'.

> Second what is the point of putting the \preLilyPondExample and
> \postLilyPondExample macros where they are?  If I want macros in
> _these_ places I can put them in the original latex file! It would
> make much more sense to put them between the systems (in
> lily-1105931465-systems.tex).  Actually having read the
> documentation, that is where I expected them to be! This could be
> used to do things like control the gap between the systems or put
> wiggly lines between them etc.

The idea is that you need sometimes need special environments to make
the lyrics work correctly.  For example, you have to enter a CJK
environment for Chinese.  \preLilyPondExample and \postLilyPondExample
should be global hooks (this is, setting them up just once for all
lilypond snippets), not local ones.

    Werner