Re: Another documentation issue

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Another documentation issue
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 13:44:41 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:

On 12-May-05, at 2:40 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:

Maybe one alternative is to skip the links to the music expressions
(*Event) all together since they can be found by navigating
Arpeggio -> Arpeggio_engraver -> arpeggio-event.
This would also reduce the number of links that have to be
kept up to date manually in the manual.

I favor this solution.  Is this ok?

I guess the Event types can be ditched if somewhere it is explained clearly that you can do

  \displayMusic  ...

and see what's inside.

What's this?  How is \displayMusic supposed to work?

try

  \displayMusic { c4-\arpeggio }

The main proposal here is that instead of having this:

Arpeggios
blah blah
@seealso
_ArpeggioEvent_, _Arpeggio_

we just have this:

Arpeggios
blah blah
@seealso
_Arpgeggio_

If a user wants to see the internals stuff, he clicks on _Arpeggio_. The very first line tells him that Arpeggio objects are created by Arpeggio_engraver and Span_arpeggio_engraver; following those links will get him to arpeggio-event. We don't need a link to
arpeggio-event in the refman page about Arpeggios.

My worry is that encouraging people to find out thngs on their own in the program-reference on their own might also not be productive. If you think many links is confusing, than it would be best not to have them browse the internals page (with its many links.)