Re: Before 2.6 comes out...

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Before 2.6 comes out...
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:23:07 +0200

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Removing the ChangeLog might be a good idea anyway, since it is not of much use for users. However, I oppose to scrambling email addresses everywhere. It doesn't solve the problem of spam and worm-mail (your address is broadcast via the mailinglist to virus-infested platforms anyway), and it makes our job as maintainers harder. If you have a lot of spam, you should consider using automated filters (eg. spamassassin or thunderbird junkmail controls.)

Please keep copies of earlier versions of the ChangeLog and NEWS files
in the source tar ball. At least the NEWS files between 1.4 and 2.4
are missing in Documentation/misc/ for the moment.

This is a little problematic. As of 2.5, the NEWS file also has snippets of music, which are compiled with one release. It might not be possible to keep the NEWS entry for 2.6 factually correct while also keeping it compilable with 2.8.